Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe
I was obsessed with cheese as a child! My dad even nicknamed me rat, because he would constantly find me grabbing slices of Kraft cheese from the fridge and scurrying to my bedroom to eat it. This obsession stayed with me all the way through adulthood. Everyone in my household knew that if I didn't eat anything else during Thanksgiving, they knew I at least had my moms baked mac & cheese! I lived for that stuff. Even now that I am plant-based and don't eat cheese that was made from an animal's milk, I am still obsessed with cheese. When I became plant-based it was the first thing I thought about. "Where will I get my cheese from?" I have tried a number of brands that make vegan cheese from Daiya to Follow Your Heart. However, I didn't really like them much. So, I decided to make my own using a simple recipe.
cheese sauce ingredients
- 1 Cup of Cashews
- 1/2 Cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1tbs of Sea Salt
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 2 -3 Large Carrots
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Cups of Water
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE SAUCE
- Wash your carrots and sweet potato
- Chop & peel potato and carrots
- Mince the garlic cloves
- Boil potato and carrots until you can stick a fork in the potato
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender
- Blend until smooth or until you get the consistency you want. I blended mine for 2-3 minutes in my Vitamix
- Check taste and see if you need to add anything. At the end I needed more salt
VEGAN MAC & CHEESE
Once you have your cheese sauce made, boil your favorite pasta. I used Banza Chickpea Pasta for this dish. Once done, add pasta to a bowl and pour cheese sauce over pasta. Mix everything together. You can top it with your favorite toppings. I topped my mac & cheese with fresh parsley, oregano and basil. This recipe is perfect for all the cheese lovers out there who chose to remove dairy from their diet for health or ethical reasons but still crave your usual comfort food.
SHOP THE ITEMS I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE!