Gluten Free Vegan Penne Pasta With "MeatBalls"
When I decided to go plant based a year ago, I was afraid to miss out on one of my favorite dishes: PASTA! Unfortunately, most non-vegan pasta dishes have some form of dairy or meat product in it. Little did I know, there was hope for me. As I started doing more research on plant based diets, I learned that you can literally make anything vegan! You already know once this information was given to me, I looked up all vegan pasta dishes that I could make.
I decided that I wanted to perfect the vegan pasta with meatball dish and after several tries over the last few months, I am ready to share it with you all!
This recipe is guilt free, not only because the whole dish is basically plants, but also because this meal is high in protein thanks to the Banza Chickpea Penne noodle which has 14g of protein , and Gardein's meatless meatballs. This recipe is also perfect for people who are looking to transition to a more plantbased diet, and need that "meat" taste/texture.
I was a little skeptical about adding fake meats, because most meat alternatives taste gross to me and are highly processed. However, the meatless meatballs from Gardein are AMAZING! They taste just like real meatballs. Even some of my non-vegan friends love them. Most importantly, the ingredient list and macros are pretty good!
I am going to try to make this as simple as possible! So without further ado, here's my Gluten Free Vegan Chickpea Penne Pasta and "Meatballs" recipe! Lord that was a mouthful!
What You'll Need
- Gardein Meatless Meatballs
- Banza Chickpea Pasta
- 1 can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Large Red Pepper
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2-3 Handfuls of Spinach
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Pink Himalayan Salt (to taste)
- 1 Can of tomato sauce
- Dried Basil (to taste)
- Dried Oregano (to taste)
- Nutritional Yeast (optional)
The Chickpea Pasta
- Follow the cooking directions for the Banza Chickpea Pasta.
The Gardein Meatless Meatballs
- There are three cooking methods on the back. I chose to put them in the oven!
- In a Large or medium sized skillet sauté onions, garlic, and peppers until onions are soft. Put to the side.
- In another large pot, bring the can of tomato sauce to a boil and then simmer. Add in your onions, garlic, peppers and stir on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients: dried basil, dried oregano, diced tomatoes, salt, black pepper and stir for 5 minutes.
Putting It All Together
- Add in your cooked pasta and meatballs to the sauce. Give it a big stir. Cook on low heat for another 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and remove pot from heat. Stir in your Spinach.
- Sprinkle in some nutritional yeast for a cheesy finish.
- Serve & enjoy
Hope you give it a try!